Respite Care Volunteer Position Description
Background: Dayton’s Bluff Seniors Living At Home Block Nurse Program has existed since 2008, to assist elder neighbors through a combination of volunteer, nursing and other services to help older people stay in their own homes. We are entering our seventh year and serviced 133 seniors last year. Through wellness clinics, service coordination, social opportunities and advocacy we empower seniors to live fuller lives while living in their own homes.
- Volunteer to provide relief from daily care giving to primary caregivers of persons at risk for or experiencing a disability.
- Make friendly visits with a senior while caregiver is away.
- You may talk, watch TV or play cards with senior or monitor them as they rest. Senior may need reminder to take medications during visit
- Light meal or snack preparation may be needed; no full meal preparation
- Person is continent. No lifting, toileting or personal cares will be required.
- Senior may use a walker. If so, senior is able to use it safely to get around.
- First visit witll be with the service coordinator and the caregiver present.
- Responsible for providing relief from daily care giving to primary caregivers of persons at risk for or experiencing a disability.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must have high school diploma or GED. Must be 18 years or older. All applicants must be able to pass a criminal background check under state regulations. The ability to obtain the First Aid and CPR certification within one month of being enrolled.
- Caring. Loves being with seniors. Prompt. Good listener. Patience, kindness and common sense. Contributes to the professional reputation of the agency
- Ability to implement planned services in partnership with families & team members.
- Has strong communication skills with diverse populations including; families, team members and the public.
- Medical background is an asset; not required
* Hours may vary. We work with your availability. Typical commitment 4-6 hours/month
Please contact volunteer coordinator, Carolyn Heim at: 651-776-7210 ext. 303