Public Health Nurse/ Registered Nurse Volunteer Job Description
- Thursday Afternoons Noon-2 p.m. at Parkway Gardens, 1145 Hudson Rd, Saint Paul, MN 55106
- Friday Mornings 9:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m. at Wilson Hi-rise, 1300 Wilson St., Saint Paul, MN 55106
- Responds to health questions by individuals and/or families during home visits, in clinics, educate the public on preventive health measures.
- Visits homes of individuals and/or families in the community and gathers initial background information used to assess their health needs.
- Interviews patients to evaluate health needs or environmental hazards in the homes.
- Measures patients’ temperature, blood pressure, pulse, to record the patients’ vital signs
- Assist in medication set ups or give a B12 injection as needed.
- At Parkway Gardens or Wilson HI rise Wellness Clinic.
- Observes patients’ reactions to prescribed medication to manage the stable phase of chronic illnesses such as diabetes, hypertension, and/or tuberculosis
- Maintains medical records and files on an Excel Spread Sheet s.
- Will report to Maryann Chowen Director of Dayton’s Bluff Seniors Living at Home/Block Nurse Program
Benefits of Volunteer Experience:
- Learn about the Living at Home Block Nurse Programs.
- Assist Seniors to live independent in their homes
- Empower adults to live full lives while experiencing a chronic disease.
- Make a difference in lives by supporting the underserved to live in their homes.
- Graduation from an accredited college with a Bachelor’s degree in Nursing or Public Health Nursing.
- Current License for Nursing in Minnesota
- One (1) year of experience in a public health field or, nursing experience gained while working under the close supervision of a licensed public health nurse.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of public health nursing.
- Knowledge of pharmaceuticals, side effects, and possible complications of use.
- Knowledge of health counseling methods.
- Knowledge of interview techniques, and the methods used to gather data.
- Knowledge of first aid procedures.
- Ability to recognize adverse signs and symptoms in patients.
- Ability to evaluate health needs and environmental hazards.
- Ability to provide health counseling to patients and families.
- Ability to conduct home visits and gather information.
- Ability to take temperature and blood pressure readings
- Ability to develop health care plans in conjunction with other professionals.